What are the firewalls present on a normal installation of hardy?

Ignazio Palmisano ignazio_io at yahoo.it
Wed Jan 21 17:45:44 UTC 2009

Steven Vollom wrote:
> I am only getting about 70kbs of download speed.  AT&T says I should be
> getting between 384 and 768 kbs.  They say that a router slows the speed.  Of
> course they don't service Linux, but what do you suggest I say to them.  I
> haven't installed any firewall that I know of, other than any that were
> automatically installed with the OS.
>
> Steven

As far as I can tell a router can slow the connection only if many
computers are attached to it, sharing its bandwidth. Just one silly
check: the speed you are seeing is 70 kbs or 70 kilobytes per second?
DSL lines are advertised in kilobits per second, for historical and
marketing reasons, and the ration kilobit to kilobyte is 10:1 (rule of
thumb), so it might be that the speed you're seeing is actually the
speed you should get. This just to make sure we're not bashing the
provider without reason :)
HTH,
I.