Is it possible to manually activate an eth0 connection? - Partially SOLVED!

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Wed Jan 21 16:48:23 UTC 2009

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Bas Roufs wrote:
>
>> bas at Viaconsensus1:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
>> # Generated by NetworkManager
>> domain lokaal
>> search lokaal
>> nameserver 192.168.1.254
>>
>> Via kdesudo kate I manually inserted the last three lines in the
>> resolv.conf file at the laptop. This proved to be sufficient to
>> establish the connection here. Right now, the laptop is downloading
>> and installing a whole bunch of Kubuntu/ Ubuntu Intrepid updates.
>> The question remains though, how to configure the settings in such a
>> way that I can smoothly connect the laptop also anywhere else - via a
>> ethernetmodem (eth0) or wireles (pan0).
>
> You're right - the next time you change connections, that's going to be
> lost.  It's actually controlled by dhclient, so compare
> /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf on the two machines.

for eth0, simply see my last mail about how to manually set it to dhcp.

After this you do not need to care anymore for resolv.conf, since modern
routers offer you dhcp, which in turn sets the nameservers, when you
start is on your notebook.

And please note, this is not an ethernet "modem", it is simply an
internal ethernet card, which will work anywhere, where you get dhcp via
Ethernet.

In regard to pan0, I have no clue, but when you google with "bluetooth
networking", this should be sufficient.

If you really need to work anywhere, it might be worthwhile to
investigate a WLAN pcmcia card, if your laptop does not offer WLAN natively.

Kind regards
Eberhard