Yahoo wants to know how well their new video syntem works!

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 07:08:45 UTC 2009

On 1/21/09, Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu> wrote:
> Mark Halegua wrote:
>> Mr. Knapp,
>>
>> Please tell yahoo if it wants to send email to Linux user groups about
>> testing
>> something, it should at least be able to do more than say it will only
>> work
>> with windows and OSX.
>
> Knapp is a regular participant here, and I do not believe he works for
> Yahoo.  I think his intention sending that link here is that Yahoo will
> get a large amount of feedback requesting GNU/Linux support.

Thanks for the support and yes you are correct on both counts! If I
did, I would be looking to find a new job before they tank, as it
seems they are headed that way.

>> That's like saying to a kid, "here's some candy.  But, you can't have
>> any."
>
> I think he is hoping enough of us "kids" will ask for candy that we'll
> get it.
>
>> Don't give us something to test unless it at least doesn't warn us it
>> won't
>> work for us.
>
> Fair point, but it really doesn't take long to "test" since it uses
> hard-coded browser detection.
>
> Anyway, I sent:
>
> "For some reason, your player says "This version of the Conviva LivePass
> is not supported on your operating system.
> Supported systems are: Windows XP and Vista, Mac OS X 10.5 on Intel
> platform."  This resulted in me being unable to complete the
> installation process.
>
> Perhaps you should use open standards, so your player will work on all
> platforms, and don't have to waste money on browser detection hacks or
> even surveys!"
>
> P.S. This should have been marked OT.
>
> Matt Flaschen

OT perhaps but getting Ubuntu and thus Linux supported by major
companies is not OT IMOHO.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Amazon Gift Cards; let them choose!!