Yahoo wants to know how well their new video syntem works!

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Wed Jan 21 03:39:37 UTC 2009

Mark Halegua wrote:
> Mr. Knapp,
>
> Please tell yahoo if it wants to send email to Linux user groups about testing
> something, it should at least be able to do more than say it will only work
> with windows and OSX.

Knapp is a regular participant here, and I do not believe he works for
Yahoo.  I think his intention sending that link here is that Yahoo will
get a large amount of feedback requesting GNU/Linux support.

> That's like saying to a kid, "here's some candy.  But, you can't have any."

I think he is hoping enough of us "kids" will ask for candy that we'll
get it.

> Don't give us something to test unless it at least doesn't warn us it won't
> work for us.

Fair point, but it really doesn't take long to "test" since it uses
hard-coded browser detection.

Anyway, I sent:

"For some reason, your player says "This version of the Conviva LivePass
is not supported on your operating system.
Supported systems are: Windows XP and Vista, Mac OS X 10.5 on Intel
platform."  This resulted in me being unable to complete the
installation process.

Perhaps you should use open standards, so your player will work on all
platforms, and don't have to waste money on browser detection hacks or
even surveys!"

P.S. This should have been marked OT.

Matt Flaschen