re grub error 17

Ray Burke rayburke30 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 19 19:59:58 UTC 2009

Herve in xp pro,

How can I check which are correct when in Kubuntu, and also I cant
load up my bkup drive to my win xp pro as with my dual boot I get error 17
as I have my backup loaded in a mobile rack(may be via external usb drive????)

thru xp pro I have
drive c 80gb win xp pro
drive d 40gb linux(k)
drive e 80gb bkup xp pro
drive L 40 gb bkup linux(K)
both bkup's are in modbile racks that I can switch on/off when booting up
but now that I have grub with my dual boot whichever o/s I try to boot
to grub says error 17, but when switched off the mobile racks its boot ok
into either win xp pro/Kubuntu thru the grub,so then cant clone my 80gb xp pro,
but the linux will clone thru paragon drive copy 8 whhen in xp pro?????
ray

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 17:00:45 +0100From: Herve at lucidia.netTo: kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.comSubject: Re: re grub error 17CC: kubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com; kubuntu-users-owner at lists.ubuntu.comYou can clone the full HD in Linux using dd:* connect source and dest HDs* boot from a LiveCD (Kubuntu ones are fine)* from a terminal, type:$ dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb... where /dev/sda is the device associated with your source HD and /dev/sdb to the destination.Quadruple-check that you know which is which as there is no way back!!!HTHHervé