How do I unite cd1 to cd2? Is Kino the tool?

Joel Oliver joelol75 at verizon.net
Mon Jan 19 13:53:49 UTC 2009

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> Thank you for the explanation, Joel. Note that there _are_ formats in
> the avi container that can be concatenated, such as those produced by
> my Fuji 5500 digital camera.

 From what I know, just because it works doesn't mean it's correct.
.AVI container files are frame based, so sticking two together will
result in the frame counter "reseting" in the middle of the movie.  Sure
most players will "ignore" the error, but I guarantee you this will
cause problems searching through the movie with the time bar or search
bar, if it will allow this at all.  Windows media player will most
likely bitch about the file being corrupted and "would you like to fix
it" although it will still play fine. avimerge renumbers the subsequent
files with the proper frame number.  Also not knowing what audio and
video codecs are in the .avi ....

What i'm trying to get at is just because it works doesn't mean it's
correct. cat'ing them will break the index and may cause video/sound
sync issues and will break searching through the movie.

Or another way to look at it, cat has been around since the 70's?  If
avimerge wasn't needed, it would have never been made.  sudo ln -s
/bin/cat /bin/avimerge LOL.  Don't run that command BTW.

Sure, technically there formats INSIDE the .avi container that can be
merged (MPEG 2&4 most common) but avi stands for audio video interleaved
which means theres so many frames of video, then a sample of audio, and
so on.  These "interleaves" are indexed.  cat'ing them together breaks
the index.