Fixed addresses for 8.04? FIXED!

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Jan 19 07:30:07 UTC 2009

On Monday 19 January 2009, Gene Heskett wrote:
>On Sunday 18 January 2009, Bruce Marshall wrote:
>>On Sunday 18 January 2009, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> Since it appears that the normal configuration (ifcfg-eth0 and friends)
>>> files have been deprecated and NM is doing it all, so how can I make it
>>> use a fixed local address?  Setting the hostname and hosts files up
>>> correctly doesn't do it. NM apparently ignores everything but the
>>> hostname.
>>
>>In 8.04 it should be as simple as going to:
>>
>>system settings -->  network  settings  -->  <select interface> -->
>>
>>configure interface -->  <select manual>  -->  enter your IP address and
>>netmask (usually  255.255.255.0)
>>
>>Also set default gateway under  'routes'  and DNS under  Domain name system
>
>I have actually done that using a sudo session, It all looks ok, but if I
> quit and reopen it, the old stuff has been set again.  Repeated several
> times.
>
>Where are the files this data is stored in?, I'll change them with vim and
> do a chattr +i on them.  That will no doubt give NM a terminal belly ache
> but at this point, I could care less.  I just want it to work.

Actually, since I had pulled kde4 in, that menu is lacking that particular
option set, but in the kde menus under applications, there was the kde3
version, and it did have it, so I did get it setup the way I want, but had to
manually restart the networking to make it take.  Now I believe it will
survive a reboot.  Thanks for the kick in the britches to keep looking.

Note to others who would do this, there is an 'administrative mode' button,
well below the bottom of the screen, so you'll probably have to scroll down
and click it, then enter your passwd again to enable the editing functions.

Then, after any change, click 'apply' else it won't be there the next time you
look.  And this applies to any tab you make a change in.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)