Fixed addresses for 8.04?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Jan 19 06:02:08 UTC 2009

On Sunday 18 January 2009, Bruce Marshall wrote:
>On Sunday 18 January 2009, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Since it appears that the normal configuration (ifcfg-eth0 and friends)
>> files have been deprecated and NM is doing it all, so how can I make it
>> use a fixed local address?  Setting the hostname and hosts files up
>> correctly doesn't do it. NM apparently ignores everything but the
>> hostname.
>
>In 8.04 it should be as simple as going to:
>
>system settings -->  network  settings  -->  <select interface> -->
>
>configure interface -->  <select manual>  -->  enter your IP address and
>netmask (usually  255.255.255.0)
>
>Also set default gateway under  'routes'  and DNS under  Domain name system

I have actually done that using a sudo session, It all looks ok, but if I quit
and reopen it, the old stuff has been set again.  Repeated several times.

Where are the files this data is stored in?, I'll change them with vim and do
a chattr +i on them.  That will no doubt give NM a terminal belly ache but at
this point, I could care less.  I just want it to work.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)