Linux and "offline folders"

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Sun Jan 18 16:51:02 GMT 2009

O. Sinclair wrote:

> Maybe someone can assist on this. I have (and am still) searched the
> internet for information on how one can implement the windows concept of
> "offline folders" in a linux client environment.

It seemed amazing to me that nobody had apparently done this, since it
should be relatively simple with FUSE.   So I entered the amazingly complex
query "linux offline filesystem" into Google and got this as the first hit:

http://www.vertical-visions.de/2009/01/07/ofs-offline-file-system-on-
ubuntu-810/

It looks like it aims to be exactly what you want, if you're willing to
settle for Samba as the network component.  otoh, I'm not sure whether it's
ever been finished.