How do I unite cd1 to cd2? Is Kino the tool?

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Sun Jan 18 06:14:17 UTC 2009

Steven Vollom wrote:
>> That's not the command line I gave you (you dropped the .avi
>> extension, which the files now have).  Run exactly this:
>>
>> cd /media/sda7/Movies avimerge -o O_Jerusalem.avi -i "Jerusalem
>> I.avi" "Jerusalem II.avi"

Sorry, I dropped the "O " out of carelessness.

> steven at Studio25:~$ cd /media/sda7/Movies
> steven at Studio25:/media/sda7/Movies$ avimerge -o O-Jerusalem.avi -i "O Jerusalem I.avi" "O Jerusalem II.avi"

[snip]

> ... done merging 2 file(s) in O-Jerusalem.avi

[snip]

> It worked!!!!!!!

:)  Did you try playing it all the way through yet?

> When it was working I noticed an error I made in typing in the
> output.  I put a '-' instead of an '_'.  Before I used the underscore
> and it did not work.

It failed earlier because you spelled the input files wrong.  It was
unrelated to the underscore in the output file.

> Did my computer just give up on me and help me anyway?

No, we got the command just right finally. :)

> Additionally, your example left out the 'O' in O Jerusalem, and I
> entered it thinking that was an oversight.

Ah, you're right! I did miss that the last couple times.  I'm very
sorry.  I'm glad you figured that out.

> Is there any possibility that the '-' was the correct way to join the
> O to the Jerusalem?

It doesn't matter because it's in the output (the program creates the
output file, and it doesn't need to have any relation to the input
name).  You could name it
SuesExcellentAdventure.avi if you wanted (wouldn't make much sense, but
you could).

> By the way, when I change the color of the type indicating the point
> of interest, does it print that way on your end?

It does if I set my email to HTML.  However, it is better netiquette to
send in plain text, and that is how I prefer to read it.  Also, the font
you use is very large.

Matt Flaschen