How do I unite cd1 to cd2? Is Kino the tool?

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Sun Jan 18 00:07:25 UTC 2009

Steven Vollom wrote:
> -rw-r--r-- 1 steven steven         46 2009-01-16 10:49 O Jerusalem.avi
> -rw-r--r-- 1 steven steven  735442944 2007-04-15 15:33 O Jerusalem I.avi
> -rw-r--r-- 1 steven steven  734171136 2007-04-15 15:35 O Jerusalem II.avi

Okay, thank you.  It obviously hasn't worked yet because O Jerusalem.avi
is far too small.  Note, if you ever want the sizes to be more readable,
you can do ls -lh (h means human-readable sizes and l means list form).

> Later in the email you saw I noticed the missing -i, however the space between
> I did not notice.  It looked like they were together to me.

Okay.  So now you know.

>> For future reference, when you see a line like this (with Usage and an
>> explanation of the command-line options), it usually means you messed up.
>
> Thanks.  You mean the extra space, don't you?

Right, but the Usage message appearing signifies an error in many programs.

> AVI open: avilib - Error opening AVI file
> REASON: No such file or directory

Okay, that tells you it can't find an input file.

[snip]

In all of these other ones you posted, it can't find the inputs,
probably because you renamed them.

> steven at Studio25:~$ cd /media/sda7/Movies
> steven at Studio25:/media/sda7/Movies$ avimerge -o O_Jerusalem.avi 1.avi 2.avi

Missing -i, and wrong input names.

> The last time, the Icon for the output changed to a similar Icon as the movie
> files.  Before that change, the icon represented a text icon.

Unfortunately, this is based on the file extension, so it can be wrong.
 If you create a text file called foo.avi, it will be considered
(incorrectly) a movie.

Now that I know the filenames, the right commands are:

cd /media/sda7/Movies
avimerge -o O_Jerusalem.avi -i "Jerusalem I.avi" "Jerusalem II.avi"

I recommend you copy and paste the second.  Note the -i is required, and
after "Jerusalem I.avi" there is a space, which is very important
(otherwise it will think there is only one input with the wrong name).
Afterwards, post the output from avimerge then do:

ls -alh *Jer*

and post that too

Matt Flaschen