The amd64 question again.

Jonathan Byrne jonathan at yamame.org
Sat Jan 17 20:44:00 UTC 2009

On 1/17/2009, "Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

>That is encouraging, especially as my last real attempt at moving to
>64 bit was in fact two years ago this month. (I cannot believe that
>this computer is two years old! or my daughter for that matter!)

I'm running Kubuntu 8.10 for AMD64 with KDE 4.2 RC 1 both at work and at
home (on a Core 2 Duo V-Pro Lenovo desktop and a Core 2 Quad home-buil,
respectively) and have also run into no problems, except 1: the last
time I tried out the Lightning add-on for Thunderbird it was 32-bit only
through the standard process. Someone had rolled up a 64-bit version,
and it did work, but it had to be manually installed. Not a blocker for
me, as my actual mail and calendaring is done on a MacBook Pro using
Entourage. I only use Thunderbird for picking apart spam (for $DAY_JOB)
so it doesn't need to do anything but pick up mboxes from my local disk.

Cheers,

Jonathan