The amd64 question again.

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 19:33:31 UTC 2009

Dotan Cohen said the following at 01/17/2009 10:53 AM :

> Thanks, Doc. I suppose that I will build a test system when the betas
> come out, and file bugs. But I will keep 32 bit for my daily driver.

FWIW, I have been 32-bit-free for several years on my production systems.
So you might find that you don't need it either.

I admit to keeping a 32-bit Windows machine available, though. Very, very
occasionally I am forced to use it. Mostly for the fact that it's Windows
and has IE, I think. When something doesn't work on my production machines
and it does work on the Windows machine, I don't investigate whether the
reason for the difference is Windows/IE or the fact that it's 32 bits.

I can't recall the last time I ran into a program that worked on 32 bit
Linux but which crashed under 64 bits. That used to be a very common
problem (generally because the developer probably assumed that integers and
pointers had the same length). That problem seems to have disappeared in
the last 18 months or so.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR