The amd64 question again.

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 17:53:18 UTC 2009

2009/1/17 D. R. Evans <doc.evans at gmail.com>:
> Dotan Cohen said the following at 01/17/2009 08:24 AM :
>> Once again the time to start testing another *buntu version is among
>> us. Although I do not need RAM>4GB at the moment, I would like to help
>> progress 64 bit computing for the day when I will have that much RAM.
>> I have looked for a document outlining the current drawbacks of 64
>> bit, but could not find anything inclusive. I generally use Kontact,
>> Firefox (with Flash), proprietary ATI drivers, Open Office, Skype,
>> Gooogle Earth, and Virtual Box. What problems can I expect with 64
>> bit?
>
> My experience is that odd random things don't work (but someone else
> running 64 bits will have them working just fine). What doesn't work also
> seems to vary randomly from release to release. The general trend is that
> on average more stuff works with each release, but don't assume that
> because feature X works in release N, it will also work in N+1. It
> *probably* will, but not necessarily.
>
> The biggest weirdnesses I see are in browser plugins, where a plugin that
> is supposed to work in both Konq and FF will work only in one of them, and
> again it seems random which one works. In 8.10 more stuff works in Konq; in
> 8.04 more stuff worked in FF (for me, anyway).
>
> There are stability problems in the current FF (and it adds errors to
> .xsession-errors at the rate of about 1GB per day here), but that's recent
> and likely is a purely FF issue.
>
> My overall impression is that it's 98% fine, with only occasional
> bleeding-edgedness.
>
>  Doc

Thanks, Doc. I suppose that I will build a test system when the betas
come out, and file bugs. But I will keep 32 bit for my daily driver.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-ح-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه‍-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-Р-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-Э-Ю-Я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü