How do I unite cd1 to cd2? Is Kino the tool?

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Sat Jan 17 00:45:54 UTC 2009

Steven Vollom wrote:

> Because I was  having trouble, the computer was always saying no
> directory, I googled 'directory' and came to the conclusion that all
> I needed to do was put a folder in the sda7 partition to create a
> directory.

You don't need to create any directories.  /media/sda7 is actually a
directory itself, called a mount-point.  The error you got before was
because of a typo.

  If I am correct, and I named it Movies, I now have the
> movies in a directory.

Okay, you didn't need to, but it's good to organize anyway. :)  Can you run:

ls -al /media/sda7/Movies

just to make sure we're on the same page (I need to know the exact
filenames).

> I carefully typed in your instruction

It can actually be simpler to copy and paste than retype.

> The 'old' 'O Jerusalem I' and 'O
> Jerusalem II' are still there too, so I can still play the program,
> however I am still making a mistake somewhere.

The old ones are expected to remain (after you're sure the new one is
correct, you can delete the old manually).

> steven at Studio25:/media/sda7$ avimerge -o O_Jerusalem "O Jerusalem
> I""O Jerusalem II" avimerge (transcode v1.0.2) (C) 2001-2004 Thomas
> Oestreich, T. Bitterberg

Steven, it looks like you made a couple mistakes.   First, you dropped
the -i.  Second, you dropped the space between "O Jerusalem I" and "O
Jerusalem II".  Both the -i and the space are required.

> Usage: avimerge [options] -o file                   output file name

For future reference, when you see a line like this (with Usage and an
explanation of the command-line options), it usually means you messed up.

> steven at Studio25:/media/sda7/Movies$ avimerge -o O_Jerusalem -i "O
> Jerusalem I""O
> Jerusalem II" scanning file O Jerusalem IO Jerusalem II

See.  It thinks there's a file called "O Jerusalem IO Jerusalem II"
because you dropped a space.

 for
> video/audio parameter AVI open: avilib - Error opening AVI file
> REASON: No such file or directory steven at Studio25:/media/sda7/Movies$

You put the -i this time, but you still had the spacing wrong.

As I said, do the ls (see above) so I know the current filenames, then
I'll give the correct command line.

Matt Flaschen