How do I unite cd1 to cd2? Is Kino the tool?

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 17 00:28:26 UTC 2009

> The underscore relieves us of the need to quote.  The two input files do
> not have avi extension.  Also note the spacing is important.  Do not
> change any spaces.
Dear Matt,

Please don't give up on me, I am getting very close.  I am not even cutting and pasting.  I was careful to use the O instead of the 0, but when I type it in the konsole, it looks like an 0 instead of an O.  But I am sure that I depressed the correct character.

Because I was  having trouble, the computer was always saying no directory, I googled 'directory' and came to the conclusion that all I needed to do was put a folder in the sda7 partition to create a directory.  If I am correct, and I named it Movies, I now have the movies in a directory.  I put all the movies located in the partition sda7 in that Directory (I hope I am finally using the term correctly).  I carefully typed in your instruction and here is the following.  Notice that I made two attempts with two different directories.  Nonetheless, the result is not what I expected.  There is obviously a an "O Jerusalem" in the new directory, but it opens with Kate and not a player.  The 'old' 'O Jerusalem I' and 'O Jerusalem II' are still there too, so I can still play the program, however I am still making a mistake somewhere.

If you don't mind taking a look at the result of the effort, I will install the GUI, but I really want to succeed with this effort using the konsole.  I am starting to understand and remember.

steven at Studio25:/media/sda7$ avimerge -o O_Jerusalem "O Jerusalem I""O Jerusalem
II"
avimerge (transcode v1.0.2) (C) 2001-2004 Thomas Oestreich, T. Bitterberg

Usage: avimerge [options]
         -o file                   output file name
         -i file1 [file2 [...]]    input file(s)
         -p file                   multiplex additional audio track from file
         -a num                    select audio track number from input file [0]
         -A num                    select audio track number in output file [nex
t]
         -b n                      handle vbr audio [autodetect]
         -c                        drop video frames in case audio is missing [o                                               ff]
         -f FILE                   read AVI comments from FILE [off]
         -x FILE                   read AVI index from FILE [off] (see aviindex(                                               1))
steven at Studio25:/media/sda7$ cd /media/sda7/Movies
steven at Studio25:/media/sda7/Movies$ avimerge -o O_Jerusalem "O Jerusalem I""O Je                                               rusalem II"
avimerge (transcode v1.0.2) (C) 2001-2004 Thomas Oestreich, T. Bitterberg

Usage: avimerge [options]
         -o file                   output file name
         -i file1 [file2 [...]]    input file(s)
         -p file                   multiplex additional audio track from file
         -a num                    select audio track number from input file [0]
         -A num                    select audio track number in output file [nex                                               t]
         -b n                      handle vbr audio [autodetect]
         -c                        drop video frames in case audio is missing [o                                               ff]
         -f FILE                   read AVI comments from FILE [off]
         -x FILE                   read AVI index from FILE [off] (see aviindex(                                               1))
steven at Studio25:/media/sda7/Movies$ cd /media/sda7/

Next, I looked and saw that I wasn't in the correct directory, so I changed to : cd /media/sda7/Movies

Then I noticed I hadn't put the -i for inputting the two files and got the following:

steven at Studio25:/media/sda7/Movies$ avimerge -o O_Jerusalem -i "O Jerusalem I""O                                                Jerusalem II"
scanning file O Jerusalem IO Jerusalem II for video/audio parameter
AVI open: avilib - Error opening AVI file
REASON: No such file or directory
steven at Studio25:/media/sda7/Movies$

I then tried adding .avi to the -i files w/o success and next .avi to -o and -i, also without success.  I opened a new konsole for this.

steven at Studio25:~$ cd /media/sda7/Movies
steven at Studio25:/media/sda7/Movies$ avimerge -o O_Jerusalem -i "O Jerusalem I""O                                               scanning file O Jerusalem IO JerusalemII for video/audio parameter
AVI open: avilib - Error opening AVI file
REASON: No such file or directory
steven at Studio25:/media/sda7/Movies$ avimerge -o O_Jerusalem -i "O Jerusalem I.av
scanning file O Jerusalem I.aviO Jerusalem II.avi for video/audio parameter
AVI open: avilib - Error opening AVI file
REASON: No such file or directory
steven at Studio25:/media/sda7/Movies$ avimerge -o O_Jerusalem.avi -i "O Jerusalem
scanning file O Jerusalem I.aviO Jerusalem II.avi for video/audio parameter
AVI open: avilib - Error opening AVI file
REASON: No such file or directory
steven at Studio25:/media/sda7/Movies$

Then I renamed the files to include .avi after their respective names in the Movie Directory, but I still got the same error.

Next, I typed in the following:

steven at Studio25:/media/sda7/Movies$ avimerge -o "O Jerusalem.avi" -i .aviI aviII
scanning file .aviI for video/audio parameter
AVI open: avilib - Error opening AVI file
REASON: No such file or directory
steven at Studio25:/media/sda7/Movies$ /media/sda7/Movies$ avimerge -o "O Jerusalem                                               .avi" -i .avi1 avi2
bash: /media/sda7/Movies$: No such file or directory
steven at Studio25:/media/sda7/Movies$ avimerge -o O_Jerusalem.avi 1.avi 2.avi
avimerge (transcode v1.0.2) (C) 2001-2004 Thomas Oestreich, T. Bitterberg

Usage: avimerge [options]
         -o file                   output file name
         -i file1 [file2 [...]]    input file(s)
         -p file                   multiplex additional audio track from file
         -a num                    select audio track number from input file [0]
         -A num                    select audio track number in output file [nex                                               t]
         -b n                      handle vbr audio [autodetect]
         -c                        drop video frames in case audio is missing [o                                               ff]
         -f FILE                   read AVI comments from FILE [off]
         -x FILE                   read AVI index from FILE [off] (see aviindex(                                               1))
steven at Studio25:/media/sda7/Movies$

Notice with .aviI .aviII it failed then with 1.avi 2.avi I got some results.  The Icon for O Jerusalem became similar to the icons for the working movies, however when I attempted to play the merged files, Kaffeine opened normally but it still would not play the movie.  There is progress here, because I finally got the output file to open Kaffeine automatically, it just would not continue to play the movie.  It suggested the codex were installed.  I am stopped and out of ideas.

Can you see what the current error is?

Thanks Friend,

Steven