Epson and HP Scanner

Kaj Haulrich kaj at haulrich.net
Fri Jan 16 22:14:14 UTC 2009

On Friday 16 January 2009 19:28:15 Pastor JW wrote:
> On Friday 16 January 2009 10:13:39 am Mark Halegua wrote:
> > Can anyone on the list tell me which scanners from Epson and HP they've
> > used on Ubuntu/Kubuntu?
> >
> > I'm looking for an inexpensive scanner priced up to $150 with a good
> > resolution.
>
> You might take a look at the HP j6480.  It didn't take much to get it
> working wirelessly as a network printer/scanner/fax with my laptops!  All
> are either Ubuntu or Kubuntu, we have no windoze machines.  In fact they
> are completely banned in our office!  I got the all-in-one for $139.00 and
> am very happy so far.

I take it you just need a scanner, not an all-in-one printer? - Well, in that
case I have a suggestion:

Epson Perfection 2400 Photo (or one in the same series)

The reason: Work just out of the box on all my (K)ubuntu systems with xsane
and GIMP-sane. But most of all, you'll get a really capable photo-scanner as
well, one that can scan old celluloid films (24mm x 36mm), such as black-and-
white negatives, color slides, color-negatives etc.. with a very high
resolution (2400 - 4800 pixels per inch). Such scans can then be converted and
edited to fine, printable photos up to letter and A4 size in GIMP. Of course it
does normal, flat scans as well, just pull out the white plate covering the
overhead, fluorescent light from the lid. Works perfectly. Got mine for
something like $170.

Kaj Haulrich.
--
*** Sent from a 100% Microsoft-free computer ***
********* Running Linux Ubuntu 8.10 *********