How to switch from gnome to kde?

Joel Oliver joelol75 at verizon.net
Fri Jan 16 13:58:51 GMT 2009

Jonas Norlander wrote:

> And kdm is writing a log at /var/log/kdm. Not much in it for me but
> perhaps it has some clues for you?
>
> / Jonas

Also, if kdm is failing and you can't get it to work, try going back to gdm:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

You can select which startup manager to run in a simple ncurses "pick one"

I would get your login manager (one or the other) working properly
before worring about kde.  I also had to switch back to gdm after
installing kubuntu-desktop because kdm didn't work for me (Awhile back,
when it was still beta)  Doesn't matter which one as either will allow
you to select gnome or KDE.