How do I unite cd1 to cd2? Is Kino the tool?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 14:50:55 UTC 2009

2009/1/16 Joel Oliver <joelol75 at verizon.net>:

>> I have attempted so many commands that I am confused now.  I don't remember
>> the correct post you mention, however, I have cut and pasted (to keep from
>> making an error) everything I have tried, and nothing has had a positive
>> result so far.  Additionally, I don't understand the term 'cat them
>> together'.  I will google that term when I finish reading the posts.
>>
>> Thanks for your patience.
>>
>> Steven
>>

> You can't cat (concatenate) .avi files (which you have)  You must use
> avimerge (part of avifile-utils I believe) You need to install this
> program first to get avimerge. So:
>
> sudo apt-get install avifile-utils
>
> OK, now cd to the directory that the two .avi files are in and run the
> command:
>
> avimerge -o outputfile.avi -i inputfile1.avi inputfile2.avi
> inputfile3.avi etc.
>
> thats -o and -i the letter meaning the file "outputfile.avi" will be the
> combined files of the input files (Can be two, three, ten....)
>
> A good habit would be to enclose the filenames in quotes because your
> filenames have spaces in them.  Or just goto the directory with the two
> files and rename them.  Like make the Jerusalem I.avi file just 1.avi
> and Jerusalem II.avi 2.avi respectively. That would make the quotes
> unnecessary... Like:
>
> avimerge -o Jerusalem.avi -i 1.avi 2.avi
>
> That will fix your avi's together....
>

> Now not to confuse you further, but if you had two or more text files
> (plain old text, not .doc or .odt...) you can "stick them together" with
> the cat command.  Like:
>
> cat text1.txt text2.txt text3.txt > combined.txt
>
> OK.... So the file combined.txt has all three text files in the
> specified order all in one file.... Now for .mpg, .mpeg, and .vob files
> (Which are all MPEG compressed movies or video) you cannot use
> avimerge.... Just treat them as text files like above and use the cat
> command to stick these types of video together.
>
> cat video1.mpg video2.mpg video3.mpg > combinedvideo.mpg
>
> So... The "greater than sign" stands for redirecting the output to the
> file specified.  This overwrites the file as well.  Lets say you just
> combined three MPEG videos together and find out part 4 just came out
> and you want to add it to the final movie.  There's three ways to go
> about this and only one makes sense.  I'll list some examples:
>
> Example 1:
>    You can just go at it again:
>
> cat video1.mpg video2.mpg video3.mpg video4.mpg > combinedvideo.mpg
>

>    This makes no sense as you need to "start over" and parse through
> all of the first three videos again... You already did this the first time.
>
> Example two:
>    You can cat the combined.mpg and then the video4.mpg together but
> you better rename the combined.mpg file or it will destroy it.
>
> cat combined.mpg video4.mpg > newcombined.mpg
>
>    Again, you need to parse through the whole thing.... also you need
> [...]

Thank you for the explanation, Joel. Note that there _are_ formats in
the avi container that can be concatenated, such as those produced by
my Fuji 5500 digital camera.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-ح-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه‍-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-Р-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-Э-Ю-Я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü