How do I unite cd1 to cd2? Is Kino the tool?

Joel Oliver joelol75 at verizon.net
Fri Jan 16 13:41:14 UTC 2009

> I have attempted so many commands that I am confused now.  I don't remember
> the correct post you mention, however, I have cut and pasted (to keep from
> making an error) everything I have tried, and nothing has had a positive
> result so far.  Additionally, I don't understand the term 'cat them
> together'.  I will google that term when I finish reading the posts.
>
> Thanks for your patience.
>
> Steven

You can't cat (concatenate) .avi files (which you have)  You must use
avimerge (part of avifile-utils I believe) You need to install this
program first to get avimerge. So:

sudo apt-get install avifile-utils

OK, now cd to the directory that the two .avi files are in and run the
command:

avimerge -o outputfile.avi -i inputfile1.avi inputfile2.avi
inputfile3.avi etc.

thats -o and -i the letter meaning the file "outputfile.avi" will be the
combined files of the input files (Can be two, three, ten....)

A good habit would be to enclose the filenames in quotes because your
filenames have spaces in them.  Or just goto the directory with the two
files and rename them.  Like make the Jerusalem I.avi file just 1.avi
and Jerusalem II.avi 2.avi respectively. That would make the quotes
unnecessary... Like:

avimerge -o Jerusalem.avi -i 1.avi 2.avi

That will fix your avi's together....

Now not to confuse you further, but if you had two or more text files
(plain old text, not .doc or .odt...) you can "stick them together" with
the cat command.  Like:

cat text1.txt text2.txt text3.txt > combined.txt

OK.... So the file combined.txt has all three text files in the
specified order all in one file.... Now for .mpg, .mpeg, and .vob files
(Which are all MPEG compressed movies or video) you cannot use
avimerge.... Just treat them as text files like above and use the cat
command to stick these types of video together.

cat video1.mpg video2.mpg video3.mpg > combinedvideo.mpg

So... The "greater than sign" stands for redirecting the output to the
file specified.  This overwrites the file as well.  Lets say you just
combined three MPEG videos together and find out part 4 just came out
and you want to add it to the final movie.  There's three ways to go
about this and only one makes sense.  I'll list some examples:

Example 1:
    You can just go at it again:

cat video1.mpg video2.mpg video3.mpg video4.mpg > combinedvideo.mpg

    This makes no sense as you need to "start over" and parse through
all of the first three videos again... You already did this the first time.

Example two:
    You can cat the combined.mpg and then the video4.mpg together but
you better rename the combined.mpg file or it will destroy it.

cat combined.mpg video4.mpg > newcombined.mpg

    Again, you need to parse through the whole thing.... also you need
to rename the output file... Still not a good idea.

Example 3: (And the correct way):
    Just tack the video4.mpg file onto the end of the combined.mpg file
without overwriting it... How? use to >> together which appends w/o
overwriting:

cat video4.mpg >> combined.mpg

Hope this helps.  Of course your movies are NOT MPEG video, so you can't
simply cat them together.  You need to use avimerge!  But I explained
the cat command because you asked.