How do I unite cd1 to cd2? Is Kino the tool?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 13:02:24 UTC 2009

2009/1/16 Steven Vollom <stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net>:

>> What are you trying to do here?
> Dotan, I am getting help from several people.  I do the recommendation of each
> post as it arrives.  Is that bad procedure?

No, but you should understand these two things before doing any command:
1) What it does
2) Why you are doing it

I saw several emails where you performed some "file" commands, do you
know what they were for? Do you know what the exec commands were for?
I do not think that you would have done them if you know what they
were for.

> Just before I read this email, I
> attempted a process that involved downloading and installing a package called
> transcode.  After installing the package I entered and got the following
> result:

Why transcode? Do you realize what that will do to your videos?

> Shoot, Dotan, you know my limitations.  I have to trust you guys and make the
> steps as advised.  I don't know what happened to the command.  It doesn't
> look like what I typed into the terminal.

Don't trust any command that you do not know what it will do! You can
easily do a lot of damage that way. Especially if the good-intentioned
author of the command made a mistake, typo, or assumed something that
he should not have assumed. It happens _often_.

>>Then just cat them together, using quotes around the filenames because of the
>>spaces. I posted the correct command earlier.
>
> I have attempted so many commands that I am confused now.  I don't remember
> the correct post you mention, however, I have cut and pasted (to keep from
> making an error) everything I have tried, and nothing has had a positive
> result so far.  Additionally, I don't understand the term 'cat them
> together'.  I will google that term when I finish reading the posts.

To "cat them together" use the "cat" command to merge the files:

$ cat file1.avi file2.avi > output.avi

"cat": the name of the command
"file1.avi file2.avi": the list of files to be combined
">": output pipe
"output.avi": the name of the output file

For you, I assume this is what you need:
$ cd /media/sda7/
$ cat "O Jerusalem I" "O Jerusalem II" > "O Jerusalem"

It is an exersize for the reader to determine what the first command does.

> Thanks for your patience.

Other people are as patient with me when I ask similar questions on
this list. It's how we help each other!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-ح-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه‍-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-Р-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-Э-Ю-Я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü