where is the system administration page in Kubuntu 8.10?

Bruce Marshall bmarsh at bmarsh.com
Thu Jan 15 21:37:58 UTC 2009

On Thursday 15 January 2009, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > Anyone know where to set network items??   I have yet to find where I can
> > specify a fixed IP address and all of the other network settings that
> > used to
> > be on the 8.04  System Settings page(s).
>
> <sigh>
>
> Same place - general tab, Network settings

Uhh   want to run that by me again?   I went to:

system settings -->  network settings

and the only think I see there are proxy settings and socks and some other
unrelated items.

I finally installed knetworkmanager and tried to set up a static IP with a
named connection.   It set up ok but there was no way in H it was going to
use it.    I would edit the connection, all looked good,  "Connect and save"
but I was still connected using a DHCP it picked up at install.

Downing eth0 and bring it back up did nothing.   Restarting the networking did
nothing.

I have Hardy on the same machine so what I finally ended up doing was copying
over the ENTIRE  /etc/network/  directory from Hardy to Intrepid and now it
works.

Seems to me there are a lot of things that were left out or just plain don't
work in 8.10.   It's for that reason that I am not using it.