Q: Simultaneous copy and rename

Art Alexion art.alexion at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 14:10:55 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 14 January 2009 02:52:01 Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> Donn wrote:
> >> Is there a way in Konqueror or Dolphin to copy a file from directory A
> >> to directory B, *at the same time* renaming the file in the destination
> >> directory?
> >
> > Either
> > 1. You drop/paste it and immediately hit F2 and then type a new name.
> > 2. You do your best to invoke psychic powers and/or $god_of_choice to
> > read your mind, infer the desired new name and call the right functions
> > to name the file as it hits the target.
> >
> > I go with option 1 :)
> >
> > \d
>
> 3. you use krename, especially handy when mass renaming is required.

4. Konqueror 3.5 offers to rename subsequent files with name collisions.  I
hope that Konqueror 4/dolphin.part does the same.

That said, I'm not sure how to tell any current program to take a single file
and make two copies of it on the destination.  The following command will
work, but it uses && trickery and doesn't answer your GUI-based question.

cp /source.d/file /dest.d/file1 && cp /source.d/file /dest.d/file2