kde-4 issue on 8.04 LTS?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Jan 11 05:03:35 GMT 2009

On Saturday 10 January 2009, tom bell wrote:
>On 01/10/2009 kubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com inscribed:
>> Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 15:17:03 -0500
>> From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net>
>> Subject: kde-4 issue on 8.04 LTS?
>> To: kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
>>
>> Greetings all;
>>
>> I have a sacrificial old box I call goat cuz its being sacrificed on the
>> alter of knowledge.
>>
>> Fresh install of ubuntu-8.04 LTS and then updated, I found the meta file
>> for kde-4 and installed 250+ packages of kde with it.  Twice now, once
>> with the default installer and once with synaptic, they don't seem to be
>> aware of each others databases.  That brings up the requestor (both times)
>> that confirms my choice of kdm-kde4 as the window manager.
>>
>> On reboot, the kubuntu splash comes up, but at login it looks as if it is
>> using the gnome login.  Once the user and pw have been entered, the
>> kubunutu splash comes back until it actually does the startx, at which
>> time it is back to gnome for the desktop, but with a large number of kde
>> apps present in the menu's.
>>
>> What does it take to make it kde4 all the way?
>>
>> -- Cheers, Gene "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
>> soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." -Ed Howdershelt
>> (Author) Save the bales!
>
>On the login screen there is an option at the bottom that when clicked
>on will allow you to login into KDE4, ...or not at you wish.

Sorry, 'tisn't there.  But the login screen now has a K logo too. Ahh, hidden
in a sub-menu of the menu buttons pull down, duh.  And it works, but how do I
make it the default?

And, how can I shrink the pagers window frames?  They are about the size of a
postage stamp each, 10x the real estate the gnome frames use, and use most of
the bar when I get enough to work with setup.  Here on this screen with
kde-3.5.10, the whole pager is about 1.2 cm tall and <4 cm long, in two rows
of 4, leaving lots of bar to drop other stuff on.  That screen is not of
course near the resolution of this one, it's an old compaq 15", 800x600 maybe
& getting long in the tooth fuzzy, lcd 1680x1050 here.

Thanks Tom.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)