Install / Boot issues

Jonas Norlander jonorland at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 10:03:20 UTC 2009

2009/1/9 keith dewitt <keithdewitt at gmail.com>:

>> Have you tried to start in recovery mode?
>
> Yes. No luck, but I may not be seeing  something I need to know there,
>
>>You can also try to remove
>> the quit and splash options from the kernel row in the Grub boot menu.
>
> Removed. But the splash screens would still come up. Maybe I did
> something wrong, but I removed those two words from the end of the
> line and checked on another reboot and they were not there. But I am
> getting past the splash screens now, just getting the blank screen
> directly after. And it stops.

When you remove them from the grub menu at boot it is not saved to the
config file so after a reboot the will be there again.

>> Both suggestions will give you more output when trying to debug the
>> cause. Also look at the log files in /var/log for clues.
>
> I looked at this site and few others to explain to my "how to view
> /var/log files":
> http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-log-files-location-and-how-do-i-view-logs-files/
> When I got to ?command lines? that had "#" to type commands, said it
> was an invalid command. What I'm thinking is these files are only
> viewable once everything is loaded and you can use a ?shell?

In a shell you have some information at the start of every line that
tell you your login name, the name of the machine you are logged in
at, what directory you are at and if you are a normal user or root
then you have a space and after that is where you enter your commands.
This is mine "jonas at intrepid-amd9650:~$" I will break it up for you.

jonas: My login name.
intrepid-amd9650: Shows the name of the computer im logged in at.
~: The directory you are in. ~ is a alias for your home directory.
$: Shows that you are a normal user, root got a # character instead

So in the examples from that side the # characters only shows that the
commands is writen at a root shell and the # should not be written.

> I think I'm getting more lost. But I'm trying still. My big
> motivation, I plan to upgrade to a 64 bit system and would like to
> move over to Linux as my OS.
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Keith

The most important log file to look at is the /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
Look at that file with this command "less /var/log/Xorg.0.log" without
the quotes. Use page up and page down to move up and down in the file,
quit by pressing q. If you got any errors or warnings that line start
with (EE) or (WW).

I suspect you got some problem with your graphics driver. What
graphics card do you have?

/ Jonas