Grub Error 17

Karl Klinger karlok at fastmail.fm
Sun Jan 11 05:15:37 UTC 2009

Ash wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In my desperate attempt to fic the Grub Error problem, I mounted the Win
> XP CD and ran fixmbr and fixboot on the repair console.
>
> Now my system is working again except one thing!!
>
> It straight away boots Win XP giving me no option to load Ubuntu.
>
> I checked the partitions on Partition Manager and it shows that Linux is
> still there.
>
> How do I get the option for multibooting again?
>
> Eagerly waiting for solution!

Apparently you did not get my reply to your original question this
morning, so I'll repeat it:

> The problem is that the master boot record on your hard disk no longer
> points to the partition containing grub and the kernel.
>
> To fix it, boot with install cd and choose the option to rescue a broken
> system (I'm not familiar with the live cd, but I would think it must
> have such an option).  Then enter the following commands:
>
> grub
> root (hd0,nn)
> setup (hd0)
> quit
>
> where hd0 is the first hard disk (I assume there is only one on your
> laptop), and nn is the zero-based partition number of the partition
> containing the grub files and the kernel.  For example, if the boot
> files are on sda3, nn would be 2.
>
> You should now be able to boot and get the grub menu, and if the uuid's
> of your partitions haven't changed, you should be set to go.

Oops, I see now that that should have been "sudo grub".  This brings up
the grub prompt like this:

>        [ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported.   For
>          the   first   word,  TAB  lists  possible  command
>          completions.  Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
>          completions of a device/filename. ]
>
> grub>

Now you have to tell grub which partition the grub files and kernel are
on.  You can use the tab key to get grub to list the partitions as it
sees them like this:

> grub> root (hd0,<tab>
>  Possible partitions are:
>    Partition num: 0,  Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x7
>    Partition num: 1,  Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x82
>    Partition num: 4,  Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
>    Partition num: 5,  Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
>    Partition num: 6,  Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x83
>    Partition num: 7,  Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
>    Partition num: 8,  Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
>    Partition num: 9,  Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
>    Partition num: 10,  Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
>
> grub> root (hd0,

Complete the root command, in my case "root (hd0,4)" and type in the
"setup (hd0)" command.  This makes the master boot record point to your
Linux partition, and you should be set to go.

Karl