KVM Switch Problem - 8.10/64

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 21:22:01 UTC 2009

Billie Erin Walsh said the following at 01/10/2009 11:21 AM :
> I have two computers that share one monitor, keyboard, mouse through a
> KVM switch. Whenever I switch between 8.10/64 and the other computer and
> switch back I lose the keyboard and mouse. The only way to get
> everything back is shut down the computer and reboot.
>
> It works fine in 8.04.
>
> Do I need to post a bug [ or is this an undocumented feature ]?
>
> Should I post it on Kubuntu or KDE [ or both ]?

Certainly not KDE. You can try on Kubuntu, but my guess (FWIW) is that it's
really a kernel issue.

I have experienced some interesting KVM weirdnesses with 64-bit 8.10. In
particular: it was truly awful with the initial release, but a couple of
weeks after that there was a kernel update that (mostly) fixed the problem.
Now it's down to occasional freezes that are fixed by physically removing
and reinstalling the connectors or (less frequently) switching to the
console or another computer and back again. Every now and then following a
reboot the mouse is completely dead, in which case I have found no
workaround except to reboot again. But since I reboot only after a kernel
update that doesn't affect me much.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR