Grub 1.5 Error 17

Karl Klinger karlok at fastmail.fm
Sat Jan 10 17:35:54 UTC 2009

Ash wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I dared to adjust the partion space on my notebook today.
>
> Upon reboot,, I am getting the message "Grub 1.5 loading.... please wait
> " followed by Error 17.

The problem is that the master boot record on your hard disk no longer
points to the partition containing grub and the kernel.

To fix it, boot with install cd and choose the option to rescue a broken
system (i'm not familiar with the live cd, but I would think it must
have such an option).  Then enter the following commands:

grub
root (hd0,nn)
setup (hd0)
quit

where hd0 is the first hard disk (I assume there is only one on your
laptop), and nn is the zero-based partition number of the partition
containing the grub files and the kernel.  For example, if the boot
files are on sda3, nn would be 2.

You should now be able to boot and get the grub menu, and if the uuid's
of your partitions haven't changed, you should be set to go.

Karl