Linux and "offline folders"

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Fri Jan 9 14:28:53 GMT 2009

O. Sinclair wrote:

> Jonas Norlander wrote:
>> 2009/1/9 O. Sinclair <o.sinclair at gmail.com>:
>>> Maybe someone can assist on this. I have (and am still) searched the
>>> internet for information on how one can implement the windows concept of
>>> "offline folders" in a linux client environment.

Actually, I'd never even come across the idea in Windows, but I'm thinking I
have a few situations where I'd love to use this.

>>> I am looking for a way to implement this concept (minus the roaming
>>> profile if that is not possible) in an environment where the servers are
>>> either Windows or Linux (Ebox) and the clients also mixed Windows and
>>> Linux (Kubuntu hopefully). The organisation are moving away from
>>> Windows, are not going Vista but staying with XP and for new computers
>>> going LInux. But the offline folders is a security aspect for them,
>>> securing that users files gets backed up "automagically".
>>>
>>> Any pointers, help, someone did something like this, assistance of any
>>> kind most welcome.
>>
>> I'm using unison to sync my files between 3 computers and it has
>> worked fine for my needs. It don't have the automagical you want, it's
>> just a secure (SSH) plain and simple synchronization but perhaps it
>> can be configured to your needs.
>
> I know about unison, have also had a look at "luckybackup" and various
> rsync facilities. Eg Smb4K has an excellent syncing facility as has
> Krusader. Problem is they all require "user intervention" and I would
> like this to be transparent. To me this is almost "last piece of the
> puzzle" to get a linux-client to replace Windows w/o users or management
> being able to say "and what about this facility/software" etc.
>
> At the moment I am looking at csync, it seems very promising:
> http://www.csync.org/

Unison certainly seems like a starting point.  To do this right, I think you
really need to define a new "filesystem", say "offlefs", which would be backed
by any other kind of filesystem - obviously particularly useful for things
like Samba/cifs or NFS.  I'm not at all sure how much would be involved in
that.
--
derek