Install / Boot issues

keith dewitt keithdewitt at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 14:50:56 UTC 2009

> Have you tried to start in recovery mode?

Yes. No luck, but I may not be seeing  something I need to know there,

>You can also try to remove
> the quit and splash options from the kernel row in the Grub boot menu.

Removed. But the splash screens would still come up. Maybe I did
something wrong, but I removed those two words from the end of the
line and checked on another reboot and they were not there. But I am
getting past the splash screens now, just getting the blank screen
directly after. And it stops.

> Both suggestions will give you more output when trying to debug the
> cause. Also look at the log files in /var/log for clues.

I looked at this site and few others to explain to my "how to view
/var/log files":
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-log-files-location-and-how-do-i-view-logs-files/
When I got to ?command lines? that had "#" to type commands, said it
was an invalid command. What I'm thinking is these files are only
viewable once everything is loaded and you can use a ?shell?

I think I'm getting more lost. But I'm trying still. My big
motivation, I plan to upgrade to a 64 bit system and would like to
move over to Linux as my OS.

Thanks for your help,
Keith

Couldn't figure this out.