wi-fi printer

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Thu Jan 8 12:38:14 UTC 2009

On Thursday 08 January 2009 12:18:24 Brian Norman Wootton wrote:
> I have a HP Photosmart C7180 which has wi-fi, admittedly I originally
> set it up to talk to windows -
> which was a right pain. But my Kubuntu/intrepid/cups found it straight
> away, so did Xsane and
> also it used to fax OK. The only thing I found useful was to set the
> router up with a
> static IP for the printer, because DHCP kept issuing a nonsense
> addresses which fouled up the
> connectivity somewhat. In fact I've got all my home stuff on static
> addresses and ditched DCHP
> altogether
> brian

But how do you get into the machine to do the initial configuration? I mean,
setting the WiFi network ID and password? I'm guessing that this has to be
done before it can be used. You say that you originally used it with windows.
What I am interested in knowing is "do we need a windoze machine to configure
it?" or can we take one out of the box, fresh from the factory and set it up
using just Kubuntu?

Dave