Wireless printers

Hans Henry von Tresckow hvontres at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 07:09:56 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 10:07 PM, Pastor JW
<pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 January 2009 11:33:58 pm Hans Henry von Tresckow wrote:
>>
>> I have a HP OfficeJet L7590. It's not wireless by default, but it has
>> a built in ethernet port and I plugged it into my Wireless Router
>> instead. It took maybe 10-15 minutes to get it set up in Hardy (8.04).
>> In fact, it was WAY easier to set up in Linux than it was in XP :)
>> Scanning and Printing work great from linux. I haven't tried the fax
>> feature from the computer yet. As an added bonus, the scanner has a
>> document feeder and it comes with a duplexing attachment for double
>> sided printing.
>
> Thanks for the answers!  Sounds like HP at least has a bit of enlightenment!
> What do you think of an OfficeJet J6480?  What info did you need to set your
> printer up for Ethernet?  I did contact Kodak but they told me they had zero
> interest in making their printers Linux compatible.  I believe I'll spend my
> money with a company which at least has a little better attitude.  I am
> really tired of giving my money to unresponsive companies.

Since the printer uses DHCP, all you need to do is plug it into the
router and it gets an ethernet address asigned. You probably want to
set up the router to always give the same IP address to the printer so
it doesn't keep changing. I have no clue how hard the wireless setup
is.

--
Henry von Tresckow (hvontres)
Joan Crawford  - "I, Joan Crawford, I believe in the dollar.