Problem playing a DVD

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 19:05:54 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-01-05 at 12:04 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 05 January 2009, Michael Satterwhite wrote:

> >> You don't need to mount a DVD-Video to play it (same for Audio CD).
> >> Just pop it in the reader and choose play DVD in Kaffeine. If the DVD
> >> is encrypted you need the libdvdcss2 library from the
> >> http://www.medibuntu.org/ repository read up on there site how to add
> >> it.
> >
> >That would be great ... if Kaffeine actually worked (at least in my
> >installation - I'm sure it's working properly in yours). My DVD drive
> >is /dev/scd0. For whatever reason Kaffeine insists on trying to open sdb5 -
> >which has nothing on it. I do have libdvdcss2 installed. If I could open the
> >directory, I could manually select the video file to play. As it is, it's
> >Kaffeine is unusable with this DVD.
>
> I had some trouble with kaffeine here, and finally built 0.8.7, which although
> not terrible stable watching tv using the xine engine (gstreamer isn't
> supported by my video card yet), I had no trouble playing a cd with it just
> now, and that cd, a 2 disk set, has a dvd of one song too, and it, when I
> click on the open dvd button, plays nicely.  I checked in my
> ~/.kde/share/config/kaffeinerc, and the drive is not specified.
>
> So you may want to try a newer kaffeine.

I think you want to check your xine install. kaffine kinda rides on top
of xine. So, in my ~/.xine/config I find

"# directory a media in dvd device will be mounted
# string, default: /dvd
#gui.osdmenu.dvd_mountpoint:/dvd

...which appears to be broken as hell. cdrom seems to be set correctly
but not used. weird.
# device used for CD audio
# string, default: /dev/cdrom
#media.audio_cd.device:/dev/cdrom