FW: Kubuntu re-install without loss of data

Martin Laberge mlsoft at videotron.ca
Wed Jan 7 02:03:07 UTC 2009

On Monday 05 January 2009 23:49:29 Ray Burke wrote:
> Anyone out there know how to re-install Kubuntu without losing any data
> as been advised by japan solution centre(brother printers) that to resolve
> my problem with the printer dcp130c to work again on Kubuntu ,after initially
> working, but cant seem to re-install drivers, I need to re-install Kubuntu??????????
>
> ray

in fact you can't.

you can achieve almost all system state than before,
but you will forget to set a system-variable or two.

a complete reinstall of the current state of the system
is a very complex thing.

much more complex than just a format/install thing

a total reinstall to the same state, includes a total
review of all softwares installed, and their configuration
(both at the user level and the system level)
and CAN BE ACHIEVED with a high level knowledge of
all these softwares running. (http/ftp/ssh/nfs/.../firewalls/.../)

No script exist at this date, as I know it, who could do this.

I am currently working at a system script, who would snapshot a
working system, with configurations, and reimplement it totally,
after a fresh reinstall.

But the situations of a perfectly working system in Linux, are
so diverses, and so differents, that it will allways stand
on a comprehensive study and understanding of a system to be
able to replicate it.

(i.e.: you will have to use your brain, and work hard.)

We can simplify it with scripts, but you have to understand what you do.

--
Martin Laberge
mlsoft at videotron.ca
Tel:(418)521-6823
30 Years of Unix Admin, and still learning...