FW: Kubuntu re-install without loss of data

Martin Laberge mlsoft at videotron.ca
Wed Jan 7 01:51:27 UTC 2009

> Anyone out there know how to re-install Kubuntu without losing any data
> as been advised by japan solution centre(brother printers) that to resolve
> my problem with the printer dcp130c to work again on Kubuntu ,after initially
> working, but cant seem to re-install drivers, I need to re-install Kubuntu??????????
>
> ray

Just backup your home directory, to keep your user information,
this way.

tar cvzf /tmp/myuser.tgz /home/myuser/

cp /tmp/myuser.tgz /myusbkey/myuser.tgz

You should correct these 2 commands to your likings.

THEN after this, you can reinstall.

And after reboot on the fresh install,
you just log-in, and restore the saved user

cd / ; tar xvzf /myusbkey/myuser.tgz

You now have the restored user data you had,
but you loosed all the system-config that were there.

--
Martin Laberge
mlsoft at videotron.ca
Tel:(418)521-6823
30 Years of Unix Admin, and still learning...