Kubuntu re-install without loss of data

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Tue Jan 6 20:15:47 UTC 2009

Ray Burke wrote:
> Eberhard,
>
> I uninstall the drivers via
> sudo dpkg -P dcp130ccupswrapper
> sudo dpkg -P dcp130clpr
>
> then re- install the same drivers I have copy of via desktop via
> dpkg -l --force-all --force-architecture dcp130clpr-1.0.1-1.i386.deb
> dpkg -l --force-all --force architecture dcp130ccupswrapper-1.0.1-1.i386.deb
>
> then after re-installed I try to print but in the printer window from
> the notification bay
> after clicking on view the printer status it say the the dcp-130c may
> not be connected??????
>
> ray

Hi Ray,
well, this look not too bad. If it may be disconnected, at least it is
there.
Start your brother with http://localhost:631 and then see whether your
printer is there and is stopped. If it is not there, try to add it. If
it is disconnected, try to restart it.

What happens?

Lastly, you are well advised to follow the manufacturers installation
instructions that are easily accessible via the web.

For the driver, go to
http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/instruction_prn3.html
and follow, as appropriate

For the wrapper, go to
http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/instruction_prn1a.html
and follow, as appropriate.

Whith Linux there is no substitute for reading, but there will never
ever be a need for OS reinstallation.

So once and for all, please forget about that bullshit, that you heard
from the brother techies. (I apalogize in advance, but I cannot find a
better word)

Kind regards
Eberhard