How do I activate my sdb5 partition and have it stay active continually.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Jan 5 23:36:24 UTC 2009

On Monday 05 January 2009, Steven Vollom wrote:
>> >kedit opened to a blank page and in the title bar it reads /media/sdb1 -
>> >KEdit <2>, like I have two KEdit windows open.
>>
>> Oops, close that without saving.
>
>This is a while ago, and I cannot remember what I did, but if I were to
> guess, I probably saved before I closed.  Is there a way to check that?
>
>> Now, please understand that if I had a /media/westernsteer directory, I
>> can mount any partition visible to the system on that mount point with the
>> mount command.
>
>I don't understand what this paragraph means.
>
>> Does this help your understanding of how this works?
>
>Actually, some of it I recognize, but the acronyms are not understood yet;
> it is kind of like looking at a bunch of puzzle pieces right now.  I have
> not gotten that far yet in my understanding.  But thanks.  I will look into
> it.
>
>Steven

I don't think I used any acronyms, what looks like one
(mkdir,mount,umount,rmdir,ls) is probably the name of the utility I ran.
The 'westernsteer' was simply a throwaway name for purposes of the demo.  In
the mount command, I used the -t option to specify the type of filesystem to
mount as linux has about a dozen variations, with 'ext3' which is ext2 with
journaling as the default used by 95+% of the users.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)