Problem loading java applet with Firefox, but loads using Opera

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Mon Jan 5 21:09:10 UTC 2009

I'm having problems with Firefox on some Java sites, not being able to
load/initialise java applets. That is with the Java version available from
the repo. This isn't only on Kubuntu Intrepid, but also on Debian, and
Fedora, which have their own java packages. If I download, and install Sun's
JRE, there is no problem with these sites. Example site below.

http://www.jigzone.com

The java test applet runs ok on Firefox, but not the jigsaw applet. Link to
java test applet below.

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

The jigsaw applet will load ok with Opera, but I do have to set a specific
java path in Opera.

Opera's plugins list the GCJ Web Browser Plugin 0.96.1, but the default java
path in Opera is insufficient. The path I have to set is below, and is
accessable by going to Tools > Preferences > Advanced > Content > Java
Options, and replacing the existing line with the one below.

/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/i386

You need to restart Opera, after changing the Java path, then try the site
above again.

Would anyone who has java installed (not Sun's Java), and Opera, like to try
out what I've set out above, just to verify my experience.

I expect Firefox to not load/initialise the applet from www.jigzone.com, but
Opera with the correct Java path to load, and display the jigsaw applet.

I suspect that /etc/alternatives has something to do with why Firefox cannot
load the applet, and I can't find a way to specify a path to java in
Firefox's about:config, whereas in Opera I can specify a direct path to java,
bypassing /etc/alternatives.

This is all a bit academic, as the easiest route is to just install Sun's JRE,
which works fine.

Any suggestions as to how to get the jigsaw applet displaying on Firefox, with
the Java version available from the Ubuntu repo, will be very gratefully
received.

Just passing the time, and trying to resolve a long running problem.

Nigel.