Problem playing a DVD

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Jan 5 17:04:05 UTC 2009

On Monday 05 January 2009, Michael Satterwhite wrote:
>On Monday 05 January 2009 06:24:24 am Jonas Norlander wrote:
>> 2009/1/5 Michael Satterwhite <michael at weblore.com>:
>> > I have a DVD that I'd like to be able to play on my system. When I look
>> > at the directory structure on it, I find that the VIDEO_TS directory
>> > doesn't have execute permission ... IOW I can't list the contents. I
>> > have libdvd installed, but I'm not sure how to get past this problem.
>> >
>> > Can anyone offer any help?
>>
>> You don't need to mount a DVD-Video to play it (same for Audio CD).
>> Just pop it in the reader and choose play DVD in Kaffeine. If the DVD
>> is encrypted you need the libdvdcss2 library from the
>> http://www.medibuntu.org/ repository read up on there site how to add
>> it.
>
>That would be great ... if Kaffeine actually worked (at least in my
>installation - I'm sure it's working properly in yours). My DVD drive
>is /dev/scd0. For whatever reason Kaffeine insists on trying to open sdb5 -
>which has nothing on it. I do have libdvdcss2 installed. If I could open the
>directory, I could manually select the video file to play. As it is, it's
>Kaffeine is unusable with this DVD.

I had some trouble with kaffeine here, and finally built 0.8.7, which although
not terrible stable watching tv using the xine engine (gstreamer isn't
supported by my video card yet), I had no trouble playing a cd with it just
now, and that cd, a 2 disk set, has a dvd of one song too, and it, when I
click on the open dvd button, plays nicely.  I checked in my
~/.kde/share/config/kaffeinerc, and the drive is not specified.

So you may want to try a newer kaffeine.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)