Problem playing a DVD

Jonas Norlander jonorland at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 14:31:42 UTC 2009

2009/1/5 Michael Satterwhite <michael at weblore.com>:
> On Monday 05 January 2009 06:24:24 am Jonas Norlander wrote:
>> 2009/1/5 Michael Satterwhite <michael at weblore.com>:
>> > I have a DVD that I'd like to be able to play on my system. When I look
>> > at the directory structure on it, I find that the VIDEO_TS directory
>> > doesn't have execute permission ... IOW I can't list the contents. I have
>> > libdvd installed, but I'm not sure how to get past this problem.
>> >
>> > Can anyone offer any help?
>>
>> You don't need to mount a DVD-Video to play it (same for Audio CD).
>> Just pop it in the reader and choose play DVD in Kaffeine. If the DVD
>> is encrypted you need the libdvdcss2 library from the
>> http://www.medibuntu.org/ repository read up on there site how to add
>> it.
>
> That would be great ... if Kaffeine actually worked (at least in my
> installation - I'm sure it's working properly in yours). My DVD drive
> is /dev/scd0. For whatever reason Kaffeine insists on trying to open sdb5 -
> which has nothing on it. I do have libdvdcss2 installed. If I could open the
> directory, I could manually select the video file to play. As it is, it's
> Kaffeine is unusable with this DVD.

Kaffeine is using Xine as its backend. You can change the Xines
settings that Kaffeine using. Go to Kaffeine>Settings>Xine
settings>Media and there change the dvd.device option to what ever
device you are using. I have mine set to /dev/dvd that is a symlink to
my dvd device /dev/scd0. It could be that you are suffering from the
"Upgrade to Hardy removed my dvd symlinks bug" that i reported when
upgraded to Hardy. Look at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/udev/+bug/223534 for a
description and solution.

/ Jonas