How do I activate my sdb5 partition and have it stay active continually.

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 5 13:09:25 UTC 2009

> I means that there is an irresponsible entry in your fstab file. But
> do not worry, in your normal usage it will not affect you because the
> partition is not automatically mounted, and I know from conversations
> with you that you do not mount that partition. If you are inclined to
> fix it then change this line:
> /dev/sda1 /media ext3 owner,atime,noauto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
> To this:
> /dev/sda1 /media/sda1 ext3 owner,atime,noauto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
>
> The difference is in the second option, I changed it from "/media" to
> "/media/sda1".

Dear Dotan,

If I recall correctly, I need to enter the fstab file in a special way
so that I can modify it.  When one of the tasks was performed in the
recent past, I lost all my saved email records.  I lost the email that
had the instruction to get into fstab in a way that I could modify it.
I tried kate; /root/etc/fstab, I tried kate; /etc/fstab.  Is Kate the
wrong text editor?

It was a significant loss, my email records, I had code for all my
repairs in there, including how to edit fstab.  Please help once again.
I will save it again.  Additionally, I will purchase a thumb drive and
copy all future code instructions to it.  Thanks and sorry for having to
ask again.

Steven