Problem playing a DVD

Michael Satterwhite michael at weblore.com
Mon Jan 5 12:56:26 UTC 2009

On Monday 05 January 2009 06:24:24 am Jonas Norlander wrote:
> 2009/1/5 Michael Satterwhite <michael at weblore.com>:
> > I have a DVD that I'd like to be able to play on my system. When I look
> > at the directory structure on it, I find that the VIDEO_TS directory
> > doesn't have execute permission ... IOW I can't list the contents. I have
> > libdvd installed, but I'm not sure how to get past this problem.
> >
> > Can anyone offer any help?
>
> You don't need to mount a DVD-Video to play it (same for Audio CD).
> Just pop it in the reader and choose play DVD in Kaffeine. If the DVD
> is encrypted you need the libdvdcss2 library from the
> http://www.medibuntu.org/ repository read up on there site how to add
> it.

That would be great ... if Kaffeine actually worked (at least in my
installation - I'm sure it's working properly in yours). My DVD drive
is /dev/scd0. For whatever reason Kaffeine insists on trying to open sdb5 -
which has nothing on it. I do have libdvdcss2 installed. If I could open the
directory, I could manually select the video file to play. As it is, it's
Kaffeine is unusable with this DVD.