Can't set clock

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Mon Jan 5 03:37:34 UTC 2009

David Fletcher wrote:

> On Sunday 04 Jan 2009, Wulfy wrote:
>> I have ntpdate installed.  I think that supplies the daemon.
>>
>> <sigh> I've had problems with the public time servers ever since I moved
>> to Linux when Sarge was Testing in Debian.  I've never had a problem
>> like this, though.
>>

> I've never installed ntpdate. I didn't know there was such a thing.

Please don't give users advice like this when you don't even know what the
default-installed software does.

ntpdate is the default installed by ubuntu because most of us don't need a
time server.

I'd recommend  you just look at syslog when you run ntpdate - it will
usually tell you why it didn't work (and it usually means you have an
invalid time server - which wouldn't be solved by installing ntpd)

> What I'd try is removing ntpdate then install ntp (or is it ntpd? I can't
> recall). If it needs ntpdate it should put it back.

It probably _won't_ need ntpdate if you have ntpd, but I really don't like
the idea of users, who can't even figure out why ntpdate isn't working,
running time servers.