How do I activate my sdb5 partition and have it stay active continually.

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat Jan 3 10:56:03 UTC 2009

Steven Vollom wrote:
> > and you should see if and where your partitions are really mounted.
>
> Am I that dense, Nils, it looks to me like it is on /media.
> steven at Studio25:~$ mount
> /dev/sdb1 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
> proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
[...]
> /dev/sda1 on /media type ext3 (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

Yes, sda1 is at /media for some unknown reason. I don't think that is a
useful mount point, but that's another story.

> What do these entries mean?
> (noexec,nosuid,nodev)

The noexec flag means that programs on that partition may not be executed.
The nosuid flag means that the SUID bit is ignored.
The nodev flag means that device entries on that partition are not handled
as special device files.

All of these flags are set to enhance security at least to some degree.

Nils