How do I activate my sdb5 partition and have it stay active continually.

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat Jan 3 07:52:32 UTC 2009

Steven Vollom wrote:
> On Saturday 03 January 2009 1:20:27 am Constantinos Maltezos wrote:
> > sudo fsck -c /dev/sda1
>
> I mounted /media/sda1 using Disk&Filesystems, it said it was mounted,

Didn't you talk about sdb5 previously?

> however, below it says not found.  ??
> umount: /media/sda1: not mounted
> steven at Studio25:~$ sudo umount /media/sda1
> umount: /media/sda1: not found

Well, sda1 isn't mounted at /media/sda1 but maybe at / or somewhere else.

> steven at Studio25:~$ sudo fsck -c /dev/sda1

Now THAT was a big mistake, IMHO. Not that you damaged something in this
case but generally if you follow instructons you should not blindly
continue if there was an error. Next time you might really damage
something.

Constantinos' instructions were this:

sudo umount /media/sdb5
sudo fsck -c /dev/sdb5

If the instructions are already made for your particular situation it is
easiest to just copy one line at a time from the email and paste it to
your konsole window to avoid typos or other errors. And if you encounter
errors and don't KNOW it is harmless, please ask again before you
continue.

Nils