How do I activate my sdb5 partition and have it stay active continually.

Constantinos Maltezos pandarsson at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 3 06:20:27 UTC 2009

On Friday 02 January 2009 11:57:54 pm Steven Vollom wrote:
> On Saturday 03 January 2009 12:24:27 am Constantinos Maltezos wrote:
> > Oh, and it might be useful to run fsck on the partition anyway to see if
> > there are bad sectors on the disk.  If so, they can be marked as bad when
> > you start from scratch so the OS knows not to use them.
> >
> > I wrote a reply suggesting we look at fstab and then maybe run fsck on
> > the partition, but I'm not sure it went through.
>
> To run fsck on the partition do I, using the konsole, type in: sudo
> fsck /media/sdb5?  Or /dev/sdb5?
>
> Steven

The umounted device.  I'll give you the steps below so you can just enter the
commands in:

sudo umount /media/sdb5
sudo fsck -c /dev/sdb5

That should do it.  fsck may ask as it goes along if you want to fix some
error or other, you should be fine answering "Yes" to all of them, but if it
looks suspicious to you, answer "N" and copy the error in an email to me and
I'll tell you if it needs to be fixed or not.