How do I activate my sdb5 partition and have it stay active continually.

Constantinos Maltezos pandarsson at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 3 05:18:19 UTC 2009

On Friday 02 January 2009 11:05:54 pm Steven Vollom wrote:
> With any luck, my new computer will be functional in a week or two.
>
> I am trying to fix this one; I want to give it to an acquaintance who
> doesn't have a computer and can't afford one.  It will only hold 1gb of
> ram, so I will replace the defective 512mb stick.  Still, I would like it
> to work properly for him, if possible.
>
> A last resort is to format and start over, after the new computer is
> running smoothly.  I haven't been willing to shut down for the length of
> time required to reinstall the OS and partition the drives, and I haven't
> had a place to put the data anyway.  I can't think of anything else right
> now that might give you hints of what may be the problem.

Starting over from scratch may be a good idea as your acquaintance may get
confused by all the different partitions and could probably use the continuous
space.  But spend a couple of days trying to figure out what you want to back
up.  Still, we can see if we can get this working.

> I could send you a screenprint of the drive layout, but it takes too much
> space to put on the list; I would have to direct it to your email address.
> Thank you for your willingness to try to solve the problem.  I really want
> to help this guy.
>
> Steven

If you're referring to the contents of fstab, I don't think that would take
too much space and if it might benefit someone else, it could be useful on the
list.  But, feel free to use my email address if you'd like.