When I open my computer, the 'active window bar' at the top of a window does not install.

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Fri Jan 2 22:54:42 UTC 2009

Steven Vollom wrote:
> I just never know what to call the bar at the top of a window; it is
> the one that has the '-' tab, the 'box or overlapping boxes' tab, and
> the 'x' tab in the upper right hand corner of the page.

I think it is called "title bar".

> Anyway, when I boot up, that bar does not activate.

You mean the title bar for applications automatically started from entries
in the $HOME/.kde/Autostart directory? And is it the same for all
applications or only some? And which applications are affected?

> I have to open a konsole, type in
> kwin, and leave that konsole open the entire session, or the bar
> deactivates.

Someone else mentioned in a previous thread that you could use the
command "kwin &" (without quotes) and then you could close the Konsole.
Well, maybe it should be "nohup kwin &". And you could also try to use
the command kwin with the run dialog (ALT-F2).

> The problem may have been caused by bad memory, but I have removed the
> offending memory stick, and it still does not work without the extra
> effort.

I don't think it would persist after you have removed the bad memory. BTW:
Which version are you using? IIRC it is 8.10 but I'm not sure.

Nils