Hidden Memubar does not drop down when I put cursor in upper left corner.

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 2 04:32:39 UTC 2009

> For static control purposes, maintain hand or arm contact with the frame of
> the computer in order to be one with it in terms of voltage differentials
> such as one collects just walking across a rug or tile floor.  Those
> charges can reach several thousand volts, and 7 volts can blow some memory,
> so keep yourself in good physical contact with the frame while doing this.
> It probably has 2 such sticks of memory in it, exercise both as described,
> then boot the memory tester program again and let it run for a few hours to
> see if the errors are still there.

Thanks Gene.  I have never had instruction.  I have read and understand the
static electricity issue, however, I have never been as careful as you
suggested.  I always ground myself on the chassis, however, once that is
done, I have not worried about static electricity.  Occasionally I touch the
chassis just to make sure, but, just as a matter of habit.  Maybe I have
caused a static problem, but I really don't think so.

I have seen technicians put assorted memory in plastic bags allowing them to
be in contact with eachother.  I have also seen that memory function in
another machine.  Certainly, I will be more careful now.  I am fortunate that
I had my memory for the new computer checked as good after I had handled it
in the manner I have described.  I hope you had a wonderful New Years Day.

Steven