How to switch from gnome to kde?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Jan 2 02:18:28 UTC 2009

On Thursday 01 January 2009, alan c wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:

>>>That must be the one I missed.  According to synaptic, this will be about
>>> the 20th time amarok will be installed.  And I don't recall if that was
>>> 3.5.10 stuffs, or 4.1.2-3 stuffs.  We'll see in a bit as I don't think it
>>> had to download anything.
>>>
>>>Thanks!
>>
>> That helped a bit, after a reboot I can now see some kde stuff in the
>> gnome menu, but I still don't have a graphical login.
>> kmail was in the menu, but won't run.
>
>Since I believe you now have the original Ubuntu (gnome) and the
>recent additional package kubuntu-desktop installed, then at the login
>screen you should see the expected small menu item 'Options' I think
>at the lower left of the display.
>
>Before you complete the login process, examine the
>Options>session.
>
>You should see an option for either the gnome session (previous?) and
>the kde session. Choose the kde session and then complete the login
>process.

As I have said a few times now, I do not have a graphical login, I am logging
on to the /dev/tty0 screen, which is using some totally funkity font with no
quote chars etc.

I shut it off for the night.  Its sitting on my pool table and I don't have a
stool tall enough to see it well through my trifocals.  Which leads to a neck
ache. :(

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)